I discovered this drink in a small colorful restaurant tucked away in an old, windy city by the Atlantic. It was listed on the menu as “Advocate”, the mistranslation making us giggle (because we’re immature) and because we love to “advocate” the awesomeness of avocado (because we’re also dorks). The drink’s ingredients were simple – fresh squeezed orange juice & avocado.
The first sip is something I will cherish forever. It tasted just like an orange creamsicle… without the heaviness and weird processed food aftertaste. It was perfection and it made me wonder why more kids aren’t enjoying this drink that actually tastes better than the ice cream flavor that’s been synthesized in a lab. You’ll have to try it to believe me and your kids will be absolutely thrilled with this treat. We’ll keep it just between us that it’s actually good for them when they’re begging you for more
Avocado sometimes gets a bad rap because of its fat content which is a shame because there is so much more to this perfect little package. Here’s just the short, summarized list of all the things you and your family can benefit from by making avocado an addition to daily meals. This drink is just one of many!
- No cholesterol
- High in monounsaturated fats (good fats)
- Healthy omega-6 to omega-3 ratio
- High in beta-carotene, fiber, folate, and potassium
- Anti-inflammatory benefits which come from:
- Other non-carotenoid antioxidants including flavonoids, vitamins C and E, manganese, selenium and zinc
- Omega-3 fatty acids: ALA
- Polyhydroxylated Fatty Acids (PFAs)
- High in carotenoids:
- Carotenoids are a class of phytochemicals normally found in bright red and orange plants such as carrots and tomatoes.
- Carotenoids are essential in growth and development, boosting your immune system and can help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- The greatest concentration of carotenoids is in the dark green flesh right under the skin so don’t forget to scoop that part out!
- Since carotenoids are fat-soluble, avocados are a perfect package in that in provides these nutrients and increases the nutrient absorption by literally binding to the digestive tract and helping transport the nutrients (by 200-400%!!!)
Orange Creamsicle Smoothie (yields 2, 8oz servings)
16 oz of fresh squeezed orange juice
1/4 peeled and pitted *ripe* avocado (add more for added creaminess, nutrients & thickness)
That’s it! Blend & Enjoy!
Micronutrients: Vitamins/per serving
Vitamin A: 10%
Vitamin C: 209%
Vitamin E: 2%
Vitamin K: 5%
Thiamin (vitamin B1): 16%
Riboflavin (vitamin B2): 6%
Vitamin B6: 7%
Pantothenic Acid: 7%
Micronutrients: Minerals/per serving
Fat: 3.1 g
Carbs: 27.3 g
Fiber: 1.7 g
Sugar: 20.9 g
Protein: 2.1 g